Bringing up Browns

Thursday, July 24, 2008

you scream, i scream, we all scream for...

HOMEMADE ICE CREAM!! I got my family fun e-mail for cool summer treats, and they had a way easy recipe for ice cream. So last night we made some. Here's the recipe:
1 c half and half
2 T sugar
1/2 t vanilla
ice
1 c rock salt
So you put sugar, half and half and vanilla in a sandwich size ziplocking bag. Then put in into another bag. Then put those into a gallon size bag half filled with ice and large salt. Toss, shake, roll, play catch for about 5 minutes and SNAP! :) Homemade soft serve ice cream. We tossed ours back and forth across the table and then I added some red food coloring that Ab smooshed around for pink ice cream :) HA! What a girl. JB put some chocolate sauce on his. It makes the perfect single serving. It was delicious. We ate it right out of the bag(placing it inside another bag helps to keep the salt taste from tainting the ice cream bag. We skipped this step-I just wiped them off, but didn't do a great job so I got a little salt flavor every so often) We also put 2 ice creams in the one gallon bag so it took a couple more minutes. I think i'll try it with some mint extract next time, and some carmel, and some sprinkles, and some strawberries-ENDLESS POSSIBILIES!!!! Tom came downstairs and asked what the recipe was, and so I told him. Then Ab says, "Then you put it in a bag with lots and lots of ice and play catch, then open the bag, make it pink, and eat it!" :) Reminds me of my Kindergarden hot dog recipe...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
So with work and trying to sleep and enjoy my kids growing up, my blogging has been put on the back burner. I got hired for the graveyard(midnight-8am) part time shift at Winco on the 11th after turning in my application on the 2nd. It was way fast. So once we get into the swing of things around here, I hope to actually get caught up with last months posts, and get current on this months. But if that doesn't happen, it will be known as the missing summer, and we'll leave it at that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
My Abby's got some imagination. She just came out of her room (again) and told me that there is a fairy on the ceiling fan that won't get out of her room. Last week it was a witch, and before that a monster. So in the closet hangs a "No Monsters Allowed" sign. I walk her back in her room and help her "poof" away the fairy so that it has disappeared. She was content and climbed in bed. Hopefully she's there for the night, because I've got some tired eyes.